Official site of Fast-Food Poet & Poet Laureate of the Principality of New-Utopia, Angus O'Mann.

Friday, July 01, 2005

First Letter to SUBWAY®

Mr. Fred DeLuca
President
SUBWAY® Franchise Headquarters
325 Bic Drive
Milford, CT 06460 USA Friday, July 01, 2005

Dear Mr. DeLuca:

I see on your website that you were recently inducted into the International Franchise Association’s Hall of Fame. Congratulations! It also states that you have opened nearly 24,000 Restaurants in 82 Countries. That’s a great accomplishment, but also a great responsibility. The health of a great many people are in the hands of your restaurant operators.

You are marketing on a platform of freshness and health, and that is why a great number of poets, fast food and those with other specialties, eat at SUBWAY®. That expectation of freshness makes the incident that occurred yesterday very distressing to the entire literary community.

Hungry after a full morning of rhyming and alliteration, I visited the local SUBWAY® around 12:30 in the afternoon and bought a sandwich to take back to my “Emporium.” I also bought an apple pie. Luckily, I was full from my sandwich and only took one small bite from the pie while it was still in the cardboard holder. I decided to wrap it in plastic and put it in the refrigerator. I slid it out of the cardboard box to discover that it had a wide web of what I guess is mold across it, and one fuzzy patch of blue/green mold. It was disgusting. I took a picture of it, then wrapped it in plastic and have enclosed it in this envelope for you and your food scientist people to bring it into the lab for a “work-up.”

The fast-food gods were smiling on me, and kept me from eating that pie which I’m sure would have made me sick. What concerns me is the fact that, to my knowledge, mold like this on a prepared preserved product like your apple pies doesn’t happen quickly. As a fast-food poet, my gut tells me that there must be some blatant food mishandling and improper storage practices in your units for this to happen. Additionally, there were no markings or freshness codes that would indicate to the staff or customers when this product was prepared, and for how long it could be safely sold to the public.

I hope you will look into this matter immediately and get back to me with the reasons for this unsafe situation, and what is being done to correct it. My phone number is included here so you can get in touch.

Thank you,

Angus O’Mann
Fast-food poet
Poet Laureate of the Principality of New-Utopia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com